Thursday, July 5, 2007

HOPE YOU HAD A HAPPY 4TH...


FRIED GREEN TOMATOES, FLAG CAKE & FIRECRACKER ONSIE *Onsie compliments of the one and only... Dianne.



Per Susan's request the following is my
Easy Breezy Fried Green Tomato recipe. I preface this recipe with saying that I like them thin and crispy.
4 green tomatoes sliced thin
Mixture of cornmeal, garlic powder optional and pepper optional.
Buttermilk
Dip tomato slices into buttermilk then dredge them in the cornmeal mixture. (This is a messy process.)
I pan fry these in vegetable oil until slightly brown and then do the flipside. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt immediately. (If you are doing a second batch, you may need to add more oil.) It is best to eat these immediately but if you can't or you have leftovers....then you can "re-fry" them. I have and they were even better! I also like to make BFT's with them. That is a Bacon and Fried Tomato sandwich. Mayo is optional but highly recommended on toast. When I "re-fry" them for a BFT sandwich I like to fry the bacon first then then use the bacon grease for the "re-frying" of the tomatoes. I know it's bad for you but how many times a year are you going to find green tomatoes. So enjoy them that once a year you have them!!!
PS. I also use this same process for my fried pickles and fried okra.
PPS. I found my green tomatoes at the Santa Monica Farmer's Market on Main Street but Susan you could check the farmer's market in Athens if you are over there early in the morning. It is down the hill from Kreme Delight.

5 comments:

chad-roscoe said...

I wish I had been there! I love fried green tomatoes!
xx~

chad-roscoe said...

they look excellent too, really nocely done. Where did you find green tomatoes?

Unknown said...

And just what do you use on your fried green tomatoes?????

Unknown said...

Ummm Susan from Athens that is... Hope all is well glad you sent me this link love the updates.

The Princess's Mommy said...

I highly recommend the footlong chili dog and upside-down banana split from the Kreme Delight!! Yummy!!